domingo, 5 de agosto de 2012

Music: Pendulum - IMMERSION (2010)

PENDULUM - Immersion (2010) Review

So why am I reviewing a two-year old album. Cause it's awesome and introduced me to an amazing guy: Rob Swire. He's the mastermind behind Pendulum, and after listening Deadmau5's "Ghosts N Stuff" for the 9000th time I decided to check their work. Truth being said, I don't like 'Hold Your Colour' nor 'In Silico', but 'Immersion' made it onto my favorite albums list.

01. GENESIS (7/10)
Just an intro, reminiscent of 8-bit games, but it could've been a little better.

02. SALT IN THE WOUNDS (8/10)
This song is probably one of those which you will dislike the most, this being if you don't like videogame music neither techno. I love both, so this track amuses me. In fact, this looks like a final boss track.
It becomes a little repetitive since it is too long, plus lyrics wouldn't hurt and they wouldn't be that hard to make, that's why I dropped the score, and perhaps it would've gone lower but  I don't think it deserves that.

03. WATERCOLOUR (9/10)
Very contagious and one of the best tracks in the album. I'd still like to know if Rob sings the 'out of heeeeeere' part live or they sample the voice, because holding that note for that ammount of time is just... maybe he's even more talented than I thought.

04. SET ME ON FIRE (8/10)
Pure dubstep. Different direction for Pendulum, but they went through so many genres in this album it doesn't surprise me. I hated it at first, then really liked it. That's how dubstep goes for me. Every. Single. Time.

05. CRUSH (9.5/10)
It's the third best off the album. Well done, Pendulum. This one takes a heavier-rock form and it turns into an spectacular, memorable song that can only be described as 'wonderful'. Maybe a 10 out of 10 is too much. I really need to tell you to check out this one. Keep the bar low though and listen it through, that way you'll be beyond amazed.

06. UNDER THE WAVES (7.5/10)
It has a great instrumental and the "We reach the end" line followed by the synth is very catchy. So why a 7? It doesn't really stick with you. Still, it deserves a boost so half a point up it goes.

07. IMMUNIZE (8/10)
This one is the heaviest song here, although Comprachicos isn't far behind. It is very reminiscent of Crush though, it's like a 2.0 version of it. The techno bassline makes up for a tad of originality so that improves it. Like, a lot. Without it the song would be mostly crap.

08. THE ISLAND PART I (9.5/10)
To me, the second best one. Was a 10/10 but with time it dried out. Very, very catchy, and very well built. The lyrics are also good. Overall, a great dancing song, but to me it becomes an instant classic. Screw the mix this and mix that. This is the real deal.

09. THE ISLAND PART II (8/10)
I hated this at first. I really did. Set Me On Fire aswell. Now I love them, so add two and two and you can see this is true dubstep. Almost no lyrics though.

10. COMPRACHICOS (7/10)
The story behind this is disturbing and shocking but if you dig into weird myths and tales (such as japanese urban legends) look it up, Comprachicos are a part of spanish folklore. So in order to understand the lyrics maybe you should see the backstory, but you can give it another interpretation.
Very powerful song, but it could be better.

11. THE VULTURE (6/10)
Argh. Like, blergh. I can't believe I really liked this on my first listen. It's a weird mix between DnB, techno and dubstep. Maybe that's why I'm not a fan of Pendulum's other albums. It's not the worst though.

12. WITCHCRAFT (9.5/10)
Best one. Period. It is almost bipolar with so many different sections each almost opposite to the other. It goes from a ballad, to a techno environment and then it shifts between DnB, that techno and the guitars give it a cool twist. A very interesting piece with emotional lyrics. I loved it. It stole The Island's place of king of the album just recently to me, but it was a song I loved from the beginning.

13. SELF VS SELF (5/10)
It's a good song, but this is not its place. Pendulum, the song doesn't fit in this album. It's pure rock, going onto metal (no surprise since In Flames are guest features) 0/10 for placement in the album. I do have to give it some credit though. I'd give it a 4/10, but I boosted it could at least shine for the effort. Just... don't do it again.

14. THE FOUNTAIN (8/10)
Why are people saying this the worst track? It has a great catchy riff, the lyrics fit so well, and the artwork of the album seems to have been made because of this song. Give it a chance people!

15. ENCODER (9/10)
This is a perfect ending to such a ride of an album. I can't describe how awesome both parts of the song are. They are both perfect. Just... perfect. And the lyrics are very fitting with the fact that it is the closure to this awesome record.

Overview: Just an amazing album which you should get... now.
Best tracks: Witchcraft, Encoder, The Island Part 1, Watercolour
Worst tracks: Self Vs Self, The Vulture

IMMERSION: 8.5/10

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário